Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Waterproof finish for rosewood veneer countertop

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 10:07:25 -0800, the infamous Larry Blanchard
scrawled the following:

In article df8616d1-7e2e-403c-a6d7-297b7375e551
, says...
Now...spar varnish? (She thinks that would be too shiny) I will want to
spray it, so my (up to) 2.0 tip will handle thick stuff.

Rub down the spar varnish with some 600 wet/dry or pumice to knock
down the shine.

That was going to be my suggestion, but I'd use Behlens table top
varnish instead of spar. Spar is too soft.

I used Behlen's Rockhard for my freebie (inherited via Rogue Valley
Recyclers) cheaparse oak veneer and termite barf dining set. I
refinished the table and chairs (Waterlox Satin + foam, batting and
cool new upholstery fabric, all fun except the sanding.)

It's the -one- time in my life I wante a truly glossy surface and it's
extremely glossy. I guess pumice or gray Scotchbrite would knock the
gloss off, though.

I definitely prefer the Behlen's to spar varnish. Spar stays tacky,
and I truly hate that. Both have a horrible feel. You can't feel the
wood underneath like you can Waterlox, Watco, or straight oils. Feh!

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.