Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Waterproof finish for rosewood veneer countertop

Robatoy wrote:
I have a client who had a nice countertop made by a local cabinet
shop. It is only 30" wide by 22" deep and is mostly covered by a
square vessel bowl/sink.
He built it out of 2 layers of particle board and veneered it with a
nice thick slab of rosewood.
He finished it with, who-knows-what and there were rings from
glassware on the finish, but not into the veneer itself.
The guy who made it is dead, so no info from him.
So far, I Festooled down to the veneer, all is well, looks nice, etc.

Now...spar varnish? (She thinks that would be too shiny)

Doesn't have to be...rub it out or add flattener. Any gloss you want. Spar
is soft, no particular advantage here IMO. Spar or regular, you need many
coats; normal for me was 6-8 brushed coats.
_____________

Poly? That would give me a satin/semi-gloss option, but long exposure
to a wet glass?

Poly is OK with water, doesn't like soap.

Water based?

Same answer AFAIK. Not as pretty as oil base especially with rosewood or
other dark woods.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Polyester resin? I wouldn't but it is a possibility.

I love wood but would never want it as a sink top.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...