Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] Bruce L. Bergman[_2_] is offline

Default Ceramic Cooktop Wiring Advice Needed!

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 07:18:37 -0800 (PST), robobass
wrote:

Well, I got it running and it seems fine. I simply ganged the two coil
elements together on each burner. I guess that the original top which
went with the oven was just single coil. I still don't really
understand how it works, but, anyway, it does!

If you get stuck again, you can usually look up the maker of the
controls on the Web. They will have a "cut sheet" with all the
specifications and the wiring diagrams, and this is usually a really
good clue as to how the stove is wired.

Now be sure to check your circuit ampacity before you go too far, if
an older house doesn't have the 240/380V Wye service for the stove the
straight 240V circuit might not have the ampacity to run all four
burners and the oven at once. When you hook up a 3-phase wired range
to single phase, the amp draw goes way up because it's not spread
across three legs.

You can get away with running an over-elemented range for a while by
knowing to not turn on more than two or three elements at once, but
the only real cure to an overloaded main service panel is to do a
panel upgrade.

-- Bruce --