Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
mick[_2_] mick[_2_] is offline

Default LED Instrument Panel V2.0

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 08:35:12 -0800, John Larkin wrote:

On 17 Jan 2010 16:01:35 GMT, mick wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 23:02:08 -0800, John Larkin wrote:

snip

There's a pot on the linear regulator; it's in plain sight. And that's
all this thing needs. The PWM accomplishes nothing.

PWM dimming is more efficient than linear dimming - by a long way. It
all depends on how much heat the OP is willing to let the dimmer
dissipate.

PWM is no more efficient than resistive dimming the way he did it. There
are no inductors in his circuit. All this sort of PWM can do is move the
heat around.

I couldn't see his circuit on my server, but I assumed that he was
varying the mark/space ratio. In that case power dissipation in the
output device is always low, depending on Vsat. For a low Vsat device you
get a pretty low heat dissipation even without inductors. The mark/space
ratio doesn't matter as the output is always either saturated or cut off.
It's not ideal, admittedly, but it's a lot better than using linear
output devices.

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info