Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] captainvideo462002@yahoo.com is offline

Default Lionel 646 engine repair question

This may be the wrong group to post this question to however I was
hoping that someone familiar with my problem may read this and be able
to offer some advice.
I have a 646 Hudson steam engine that I received with the train set
that my Dad bought me in 1953. The set comes out now just briefly for
the holidays,
(space is limited).
This year while cleaning and lubricating my equipment I noticed that
there is a gear on the left side of the engine between the most
forward and center of two of the six large wheels in the center of the
engine that seems to wobble on the post it rides on. The post looks
like its ok. It just seems to be the hole in the gear that has opened
up considerably.
This gear, about the size of a quarter was just "placed" on this
shaft, however with the large wheels in place it is captive and cannot
be removed from the shaft without removing these two of the six wheels
in the center of the engine. The wheels seem to have been pressed on
to their shafts and I don't want to force anything. The engine still
runs well, however this gear wobbles as it idles between the two
wheels.
Luckily, the teeth on the gear as well as the teeth on the wheels are
not chewed yet, but if this situation persists I'm sure they will be.
I'm certain that this can only get worse if neglected.
I have always maintained and even rebuilt many pieces of my set over
the years but I've never disassembled an engine drive before. Can
anyone more familiar with this kind of dissasembly please advise me as
to how to go about removing these driving wheels without damaging the
engine, the axles or motor assembly? Or if there is a more appropriate
newsgroup I might present
this question to I would very much appreciate being advised of that as
well. I've tried rec.models.railroad but never received an answer.
Thanks very much, Lenny

Reply Reply to author