Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Show Me Your TS Cross Cut Sled

-MIKE- wrote:
Alrighty... I started on my cross cut sled.
It's a sheet of 1/2 melamine about 2x3' with two runners.

It slides nice and easy with no wiggle. I'm getting ready to put the
front and back cross pieces on and possible a blade guard. I'm also
pondering what to do as an adjustable miter gauge, clamps, etc.

So, show me yours.

Mine is 1/2" virola ply, 1 1/4 white oak cross pieces and is used almost
entirely for trimming/cutting panels. Up to 38" wide by any length panels.
I have no blade guard; I have no clamps, don't need them; I use it only for
straight cuts so no miter gauge.
_____________

What have you done that works well.

The back cross piece is extendible so I can set a stop anywhere up to 48".

The back cross piece has sort of a box to house the blade when it gets
there; box has a transparent plastic top. There is also a sizeable, stout
oak handle on the back, angled a bit, directly above the cut line to push
the sled.

What doesn't?
What mistakes did you make?

I wish I had made the cutoff side of the sled wider. It is about 4" now
which means if the cut off piece is 8" or more wide it flops down when cut
off. I'll fix that one of these days...

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...