Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default Testing Nicad/nicd or NiMH cell ESR or SLA Gel Cell Battery Internal Resistance

In article ,
"Wild_Bill" wrote:

I remember reading the comments regarding the use of the Bob Parker ESR
meter for checking battery IR/ESR quite some time ago, John, and also Bob's
own descriptions of his circuit.

I have used the Anatek Blue ESR Meter with various cells and batteries,
including the 12 volt lead-acid battery in my car. The problem is that
I don't know how to evaluate the readings.

If you are going to use that technique for battery measurements, I'd
suggest building a library of measurements of cells in various states of
charge. It would probably work for both NiCd and NiMH cells, unless one
of them happens to have a resistance below the meter's limit. In my
limited experience, the cells were all within the meter's range.

Fred