Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
coffelt2 coffelt2 is offline

Default oven

"Nova" wrote in message
Fred Holder wrote:
On Jan 14, 9:16 am, ronjboucher wrote:

trying to get some information on drying wood using the microwave oven

any and all information appreciated

thanks Ron

Hello Ron,

I typed in "Microwave Drying Wood" in the search on this newsgroup and
there were 236 posts came up. Some of those should answer your
questions.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net

Hi Ron,

I thought I might add, in case you were unaware of the function, that you
can do an advanced search of any text based newsgroup at:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_se...l=en&q=&hl=en&

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I didn't search the newsgroup, but I did a small test a few months ago
with some small, green curly willow branches. (too small, really, for
most turning projects) but the unpeeled 1 1/2" or so branches were
splitting rapidly and far up from the ends. I tried heating them in the
microwave three or four times over a week or ten days, and it seemed
to really reduce the splitting. I didn't leave them long enough to do any
real drying, just to heat them up so they were too hot to handle bare
handed.
Boatbuilder friend said heating the green wood loosens the
lignin bonds so many of the stresses in the uneven drying wood
are relieved, reducing the splitting forces. He cited the steam bending
of wood as an example. Not so much the moisture, but the heat.
Does sort of make some sense to me.

Old Chief Lynn