Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default plantar fasciitis

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 21:32:01 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:56:39 -0700, "charlie"
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:03:45 -0500, the infamous
scrawled the following:

Has anyone else gotten over plantar fasciitis? What worked? (In case
it's not coffee.) I really -need- full use of my left foot.

I have. What worked? Stretching. And better shoes.

http://www.plantarfasciitisbraces.co...hing_exercises.
html

Specifically, the ones labelled "Calf/Achilles Stretch" and "Stair
Stretch".

IIRC, you use a wheelchair, which quite possibly makes these two
impractical
for you. The "Towel Stretch" might be a good substitute, though, or you
might
be able to figure out some way to modify the two that worked for me. I
would
add, too, that the "15 to 30 seconds" described isn't really enough. My
doctor
told me that if you don't stretch the calf for at least a minute, it's not
much different from not stretching it at all. Also, IMO, the illustration
for
the "Calf/Achilles Stretch" doesn't show the back foot positioned nearly
far
enough away from the wall. The more acute the angle between your leg and
the
floor, the more you'll stretch, and (IME) the more benefit you'll get.

You should _expect_ a burning sensation in your calf. If you don't feel
that,
you're not stretching enough. Keep stretching. It'll go away. Repeat as
many
times as you can tolerate (the doc told me you can't stretch too much).
You
will need to do this several times a day at first, then daily for perhaps
several weeks, and then at least occasionally for the rest of your life
(or
for as long as you want to remain pain-free).

According to the doc, prevention consists of regular stretching, avoiding
long periods of standing on hard surfaces, and wearing shoes with firm
soles and good arch support.

Look at these items.

http://prostretch.com/

http://www.elginex.com/store/item.as...PARTMENT_ID=41

I have used to prostretch to rehab feet and ankles from women who developed
problems fromwearing high heels. The second device is new to me. I came
across it when searching for the prostretch. It looks good though. Shop
around for price, They are sold many diiferent places.

Thanks, guys!

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.