Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default OT Car purchase advice

wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 11:34:39 -0800, "Ivan Vegvary"
wrote:

Looking for a new car with the following requirements (most important
first).

1. Back lift gate. (wagon or small SUV)

Lots of those around. I chose the Rav4 even though it has a
side-swinging gate. There have been a few times I wish it had a lift
gate, mostly when there's one person on each side loading cargo. For
quick access the swinging gate is better IMO. I'm not keen on the look
of the external spare, but having a full-size one is welcome and a
rarity these days.

2. Has to be quiet with very little road noise.

Then it will be have to be a heavy model.

3. Soft cushy drive.

I doubt you're going to find that.

4. 26 plus highway mpg.

That spells lightweight which doesn't go with quiet.

I've tried the Subaru Forester and Outback. Tried all the different
Hyundai
models. Tried most of the GMC products.

The Honda CRV might be your best choice.

I guess what I am up against is that the whole world loves the new "sport
suspensions" whereby your rear-end feels every saw cut and expansion joint
in the pavement.

A mushy-riding high CG vehicle is more prone to rollover.

The stupid looking 'low profile' tires don't help either.

Then replace those with smaller wheels and softer/taller tires, run
them at minimum pressure, and forget about 26 highway. Or make your
best choice, wear earplugs, and reupholster the seat to make it more
like a sofa as they used to have in Cadillacs. :-)

At my age, this is probably the last car I will ever purchase and I would
like to get it right. BTW don't mind buying a model that is 2-3 years
old.

Good luck.

Wayne

Tailgate spares suck. Do not back up in to a tree. The spare becomes the
bumper and bends the door. Had that happen in a dark Cabina hotel in Costa
Rica.