Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default A Well Regulated Militia

Hawke wrote:

Oh yeah, the good old days of unlimited immigration. Those were the days
weren't they? I have the anti immigration views I have exactly because
it's not the old days. Back then we had a continent underpopulated and
bringing in more people made sense. Not any more. We're full up as far
as I'm concerned. In fact, I think we're already overpopulated, which is
the only reason why I'm anti immigration. If we had 130 million I would
think differently. I think a cap of 300 million is a good idea. I don't
see much chance of that happening any time soon though.

There are ways to compete if you have the highest labor costs. Germany
does very well and pays well too. One way is to let the other countries
produce the simple stuff that doesn't pay to make. We need to produce
the high value, difficult to make stuff, and the creative things, plus
food. We just need to get smart and start planning ahead and forget
about letting the market be our guide. That is what we have done for the
last 30 years and all the country has done is decline by doing that. I'm
for changing before we're desperate. And we're close to that now.

Hawke

I'm getting a bit nervous when I find my self in agreement with you. Immigration at this
point in our already full country, should be cherry picking and I don't mean migrants
picking Michigan cherries.

Made a few cubic inches of chips today machining. (On Topic content)

Wes