Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default fitting windows and new part L

sm_jamieson
wibbled on Saturday 16 January 2010 22:31

I placed my windows such that I got it most of the way over the cavity,
but I gave far more priority to getting a good fixing in the outer leaf
of the bricks.

Most of the way over the cavity ? How ? What size was the cavity ?

Sorry - I have to confess to talking ********. I forgot one key thing which
was the cavity was closed with brick (1950's house). There was a 3/4" gap
where the DPC was inserted and I was concerned to cover that with the window
frame.

Been too busy looking at a new doorway I had cut into the wall, and that of
course is cavity closed the modern way.

Sorry - brain spas moment. But as the closure was done by bricks from the
inner leaf towards the outer, I faced a similar dilemma to the OP in the I
could either fix to the closure bricks or to the outer leaf.

Due to frame design and needing the frame to seal against the outer leaf, I
had to bring the window outwards such that the fixings were good.

The only differece for the OP is (presumably) heel need to stuff some cavity
closer in first.

Well I'm only 15mm into an 75mm cavity. The frame had some ridges near
the front that would not have made for a very easy fixing so I fixed
about 30mm from the front.
If they fuss I will add some more insulation under the plasterboard on
the reveal.

I don;t think there will be a problem for the OP, if he is using cavity
closers - those have a bock of insulation anyway inserted into the cavity.

--
Tim Watts