Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Leon"
wrote:

"Kevin Miller" wrote in message
communications...
Ecnerwal wrote:

Interesting. I never took chemistry but my biology teacher did drop a
small ball of sodium in water once. That was fun.

I recall doing that in chemistry, however we were trusted to slice off a
piece of the sodium ourselves and then cover it back up quickly. The
sodium
would also react to being exposed to air although not as voilently as
dropping a piece in a beaker of water. I forget how the sodium was stored
to stop the reaction with the air. Corpus Christi was/is a very humid
city.

IIR, it's usually stored in kerosene.

That would sound reasonable... I wonder how it is preserved in nature.