Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Testing Nicad/nicd or NiMH cell ESR or SLA Gel Cell Battery InternalResistance

Wild_Bill wrote:
Phil, thanks for the concise, definitive reply, very much appreciated.

I have a milliohm meter around here somewhere, but I don't know if it
would work for battery cells, and I can't remember the meter's
resolution, either.
It's one of the digital display meters that are handy for checking
circuit board traces (with a variable audio tone) and other low
resistance measurements. The pitch of the tone gets higher as the
resistance gets lower.

--
Cheers,
WB

Please let me know the results of your experiments so I can update my
page on Bob's ESR meters and battery ESR.

John :-#)#

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

I've been doing a lot of reading wrt battery cell testing, but have
only seen one (affordable, reasonably priced) recommendation for
testing rechargeable cell ESR.. the Bob Parker ESR Meter.

http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html (near the bottom)

** As you can see form the attribution - that article is one of mine.

Bob's ESR meter will not be much use for high capacity cells that have
only a few milliohms of ESR - as the lowest reading on the display is
10mohm

However, a pack of 4 or more cells would likely be testable and reveal
poor connections of the existence of a bad cell.

.... Phil

www.flippers.com