Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default thrust bearings

On Jan 15, 2:25*am, mark wrote:
On Jan 14, 1:44*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:42:34 -0800 (PST), the infamous mark
scrawled the following:

I want to mount a 2' long 1.5" shaft with 2 pillow block bearings but
I would also like to have a thrust bearing because the shaft will have
a load from one end. I assume this is not good for the pillow block
bearings. How do I go about this. Can you buy off the shelf thrust
bearing assemblies the way pillow block bearings are sold? *Thanks

Is this loading perpendicular to the shaft? *If so, the standard ball
bearings in the pillow blocks should handle it easily, if loads are
within their normal range. *

Non-perpendicular loads would require different bearings, maybe
tapered rollers like a wheel bearing setup.

--
What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of
having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's

I am building an airboat, the prop shaft will be above the engine
driven by belts. I was planning on using a 2' long 1.5" shaft
supported by 2 *1.5" pillow block bearings and then making a hub to
mount the prop to on the end of the shaft. The side load of the
bearings would come from the prop pushing the shaft. I priced the
tapered roller pillow block bearings and they are $350.00 each, not an
option. The other idea I thought of was using a 1 piece rear axleshaft
from a pick-up as the prop shaft. Make an adapter for the prop to
hubface and the tapered rollerbearing *on the other side should take
the load. *Mount the shaft with 2 pillow block bearings. The boat will
weigh about 1500lbs and we are using a stock chev 350 at 2500-3000rpm
max.

Take a look at the W.W. Grainger catalog. Not because it has the best
selection of bearings. But because they only stock tapered roller
bearings that in common use. And the bearings in common use are less
expensive. You might note that they stock 1.375 inch bore, and 1.750
inch bore , but no 1.5 inch bore roller bearings.

Dan