Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need 'puter for momma

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:13:00 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Wes wrote:

Winston wrote:

99c and free shipping!

eBay 250563264822, 250563316731, 250563316256

Also use search term 'windows xp sp3' in eBay search window for other
low - cost approaches.

Those are OEM which means you can never move the OS to new hardware if I understand
correctly.

Can you use an OEM XP disk to upgrade a W2K install? Reason I ask is some day Alibre
isn't going to like my W2K box since W2k isn't listed as supported even though V12.0 works
just fine. I figure one of the next revisions is going to say sorry Wes, you need Xpee or
something worse.

How hard does Microsoft tie a OEM disk to the current hardware? Mother boards die, My
case has had two so far, not because I had the jones to upgrade, the board fried.

Some packages only car that the BIOS has the right name, like Dell. I
have used Dell recovery disks to install XP when they had a bad hard
drive, or the previous owner deleted everything. I simply ran the
recovery, and typed in the registration code from the sticker on the
case.

Others work only for one model of computer like Emachines which is a
HD image on a DVD.

Both will flash up a message, This is not a XXXXX motherboard if you
try them on something else.

A bad motherboard requires a new activation code every time I've done
it.

Depends on what kind of "oem" package you have.

There is the Microsoft supplied "OEM INSTALL" package that is the same
as the retail package except for the licence. It will install on
anything and does not check BIOS or anything. It does not include any
OEM supplied utilities or other crap, or any special drivers.

Then there is the "OEM Pre-install with Recovery Disk"
It will only work on a machine of the original manufacture. Put in a
new motherboard from a different supplier and you are screwed.

Another big difference.
With the OEM INSTALL package you can do a repair install, as long as
you don't have higher service packs installed, without losing any
data.(or settings). You can also do a fresh install on a different
directory and save your data, or delete the windows directory and do a
fresh re-install without formatting the drive and losing data,

You DO need to enter the windows key and go through the windoows
authentication process

With the OEM Preinstall Recovery disk you cannot do any of the above.
The re-install formats the drive and puts everything back to the way
it was shipped.
Generally you don't need to enter the key and authenticate windows -
on some you do need to enter the key.