Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Testing Nicad/nicd or NiMH cell ESR or SLA Gel Cell Battery Internal Resistance

NiMH may have higher current densities, but Nicads are preferred for high
discharge rates (power tools), from the more reasonable sources that I've
read (not just inexperienced kids on hobby forums).

I will be using high capacity NiMH cells for my portable field gear (that
have low current requirements), but having a better indication of cell
condition would be ideal (not just a battery test meter for voltage).

Being able to test ESR on new batteries should indicate if any are flakey.
Finding numerous flakey new cells would mean I don't buy more of that brand
in the future.

Just because a battery cell test shows a full charge with a simple battery
test meter, doesn't mean that the full charge can be gotten out of the cell.
The voltage level of a slightly loaded cell, or pack, doesn't indicate it's
reliability.

--
Cheers,
WB

"hr(bob) " wrote in message
On Jan 15, 8:14 am, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
I've been doing a lot of reading wrt battery cell testing, but have only
seen one (affordable, reasonably priced) recommendation for testing
rechargeable cell ESR.. the Bob Parker ESR Meter.

http://www.flippers.com/esrkthnt.html (near the
bottom)http://www.prc68.com/I/BatTst.shtml#EVB

Why waste time on Nicads when the NMH batteries are so much better?