Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

"Leon" wrote in message

"purple heart will turn purple due to heat or HCL or other acid - if you
don't believe me, try it. colors are different but both are arguably
shades of purple - the HCL is more red, the heat more blue in my
experience

I have had purple heart turn both brown and stronger purple when cutting
different pieces of purple heart.

What I would like to know is how to turn the piece that turns brown with
heat, back to purple, what kind of acid?

Ah... HCL got it.

you can wipe it on, or put it in a container near the wood and cover the
pair and the fumes will do the trick.