Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default Serious press fit

Wes wrote:

oldjag wrote:

I had to replace the input flange on a German 10,000 rpm 500 hp AC
dynamometer. The flange mounted on the slightly tapered stator shaft,
about 65 mm in diameter. Same deal, pump up to 2000 bar and pull off
with a slight push. Replacing was the reverse, a small bolt in the
end of the shaft with a washer to bear on the flange, and crank up the
pressure. The flange just glides into place. Very neat, but one
small scratch in the near mirror finished shaft surface and I'd guess
your screwed. A lot nicer than some other dynos I've worked on with
shrink fit straight shafts with keys.

How do these couplings work? I've having problems visualizing.

Thanks,

Wes

I'm still curious. Can anyone explain how the coupling works?

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller