Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need 'puter for momma

Wes wrote:

Winston wrote:

99c and free shipping!

eBay 250563264822, 250563316731, 250563316256

Also use search term 'windows xp sp3' in eBay search window for other
low - cost approaches.

Those are OEM which means you can never move the OS to new hardware if I understand
correctly.

Can you use an OEM XP disk to upgrade a W2K install? Reason I ask is some day Alibre
isn't going to like my W2K box since W2k isn't listed as supported even though V12.0 works
just fine. I figure one of the next revisions is going to say sorry Wes, you need Xpee or
something worse.

How hard does Microsoft tie a OEM disk to the current hardware? Mother boards die, My
case has had two so far, not because I had the jones to upgrade, the board fried.

Some packages only car that the BIOS has the right name, like Dell. I
have used Dell recovery disks to install XP when they had a bad hard
drive, or the previous owner deleted everything. I simply ran the
recovery, and typed in the registration code from the sticker on the
case.

Others work only for one model of computer like Emachines which is a
HD image on a DVD.

Both will flash up a message, This is not a XXXXX motherboard if you
try them on something else.

A bad motherboard requires a new activation code every time I've done
it.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.