Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default O/T: Abby Sunderland

On 1/15/2010 10:34 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I quit when it cost less for a carton than it does for a single pack
today. Today's ex-smokers can purchase major power tools or truckloads
of wood for the annual price of their habit, so they benefit even
more than I did. (bringing the drift back on topic, just to annoy)

I quit, cold turkey, Sunday, November 17, 1991 at just after 1 AM, after
31 years of smoking.

At the time it was costing me roughly $5/day for a three pack a day
habit. And you're right, I immediately started buying tools with the +/-
$1800/year I saved thenceforth.

To this day I still use that fact/figure as all the justification
necessary to buy whatever I feel may be somewhat of an unnecessary, but
something I really want, expense in the shop, and still have not come
anywhere near the $34k in 1991 dollars saved thus far.

A damn good incentive, IMO ... and a hellavu tradeoff, healthwise.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08