Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default The future of DIY

G.Mo wrote:
Hey everybody,
I'm working with a big DIY retailer to create a better home
improvement store, kind of like a B&Q of the future. The question is
what's the best/worst thing about DIY stores today??

The worst thing is that they exist and have, in many cases, displaced
proper ironmongers, paint shops, etc. If you want to build a DIY store I
would use, everything needs to be in anonomous brown boxes, with someone
at the counter who knows exactly which one contains, say a 1/2" long,
3/8" whitworth grub screw, hexagon socket and can sell me one of them.

Expert advice and
guidance seems the first thing for the public DIY-ers

Not if they know what they are doing.

but what about
people that work in the industry?

Most will buy from trade outlets at trade prices, with discounting
structures that mean they can turn a profit, even if they charge the
customer 'trade list price'.

Colin Bignell