Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default thrust bearings

I for one (and I'm assuming many others here in RCM), would really like to
see some pictures of the project.

Thrust bearings can be bought as an assembly, but I've never had a need to
find any in the sizes you're needing, so I can't recommend a source.
A bearing distributor should be able to help with some recommendations,
check your yellow pages to see if there are bearing distributors in your
area.

Applied Industrial Technologies is a nationwide USA vendor, which I go to
locally.
http://www.applied.com/site.cfm/bearings_new.cfm
There is a Locate Service Centers link at the top of the webpage

--
WB
metalworking projects

"mark" wrote in message

I am building an airboat, the prop shaft will be above the engine
driven by belts. I was planning on using a 2' long 1.5" shaft
supported by 2 1.5" pillow block bearings and then making a hub to
mount the prop to on the end of the shaft. The side load of the
bearings would come from the prop pushing the shaft. I priced the
tapered roller pillow block bearings and they are $350.00 each, not an
option. The other idea I thought of was using a 1 piece rear axleshaft
from a pick-up as the prop shaft. Make an adapter for the prop to
hubface and the tapered rollerbearing on the other side should take
the load. Mount the shaft with 2 pillow block bearings. The boat will
weigh about 1500lbs and we are using a stock chev 350 at 2500-3000rpm
max.