Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to fix leak in 5k gallon steel water tank on concrete pad

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 20:20:52 -0600, Steve Barker

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 07:33:51 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Godspeed" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 05:43:38 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

The well guy said he never "fixes" leaking water tanks. Said it's like
fixing a radiator on a car. Plug one spot and the hole opens up somewhere
else.
Sounds to me like he is incompetent. The only radiator I ever fixed, stayed
fixed.

That a pretty small sample.

Ok, how about this? I've had HUNDREDS of radiators repaired over the
last 30+ years and not a one of them ever developed a leak in another spot.

Depends on what caused the leak.
MOST radiator leaks that respond well to repairs are mechanical damage
or joint failure. Repairing the mechanical damage or resoldering the
split joint USUALLY make the rad virtually as good as new.

If a rad has corroded through from both sides and the fins have fallen
off, soldering up the resulting leak is a stopgap repair at best.

Same with a water tank.
A pourous weld? - fix it and it will LIOKELY last a long time. A stray
bullet went through it? Fix it and it will last a long time.
A rust blister due to damaged anti-corrosion coating on the outside
(like paint)? Good chance a repaior will last.
If the tank has corroded badly from the inside out, patching one hole
may well be the first of a LONG string of repairs, few if any of which
will be "successfull"