Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default O/T: Abby Sunderland

wrote:

This is a girl that can't even legally drive a car without an adult in
it.

(Yeah I know, I am waiting for the farm boys to chime in and tell us
they started driving on their grandpa's lap at 4 yrs. old.... save
it.)

OK then, I piloted an airplane at 12. I was under age to sign a contract
myself when I bought my first house, but I did buy one. It was not easy
because most realtors did not want to talk to be.

I'm not about to set off around the world in a boat, but that does not mean
the 16 yo is not qualified. I don't know here or her experience so I'm not
going to say if she should or not. Yes, it certainly has a lot of risk. I
just don't see that any of us here can make the assessment as we don't know
her, and her abilities, at all.

I don't care how much it is, but the claim that "gotten a good deal of
relevant experience" doesn't include being pursued by pirates/rapers/
muderers, handling her boat when the systems fail in a storm, say in
"sailor's graveyard", etc.

Just like going to the mall some days.