Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default LED Instrument Panel lighting - Variable_Current_LED_Controller.pdf

Jim Thompson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 14:08:04 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Jim Thompson wrote:
JF
Didn't the OP want dimming?

...Jim Thompson
A "quicky" is attached ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I might try that one on my sailboat...

Caution: I didn't have time to elaborate on protection schemes. If
an alternator source is involved, add a series diode (to keep negative
transients from creaming the LM317), plus a series R and a zener or
TVS to ground to catch the positive ones.

(Dropping resistors were calculated based on white LED's (3.4V nominal
forward). Adjust accordingly for other colors.)

...Jim Thompson

My electrical panel is backlit.
A translucent plastic panel with opaque covering with legends and lettering
engraved.

Stock was a single dim bulb buried under the switches, breakers and wiring.

I found a flexible white LED strip at AutoZone that worked out real well.
Three LEDs in a group, and four groups to a strip.
They can be cut apart and wires soldered to each group of three.
Self-adhesive backing too.

I cut up one and stuck it behind the panel - works great!
The legends and lettering are sharp, crisp, clear, easy to read.

But maybe a bit too bright on a dark night.
Rather than adding a red set (which to my eye look fuzzy), just dimming the
white would be fine.

And yes, we have a flashlight for backup

--

Richard Lamb