Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default need 'puter for momma

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 07:07:29 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

On Jan 14, 9:15Â*am, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:
My momma called and wants a new computer. She's an octogenarian and don't
like new fangled ways of doing the same thing. That means I should stay with
the operating system she knows - XP.

I went to Dell and they want an extra $150 to install XP on a windows 7
machine. She just needs a basic computer for internet, email, small
spreadsheet, and word. For myself I'd just get a used eBay. But I know momma
wants a new one. Any suggestions?

Karl

$150 for the license.

There's this if you have 7:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir.../download.aspx

I've had good luck with refurbished office PCs. Around here $250 -
$300 buys a clean, MS-updateable reload of XP on a PC that's 5 years
old or less, though they tend to have single core processors and lack
PCI-E or even AGP slots for better video cards.

This $300 laptop is a Dell Latitude D610, a rugged machine with a
metal frame that cost over $2000 only a few years ago. It's on $5-a-
month dialup so when I need to download large update files I take it
to Barnes & Noble and use their free WiFi.

jsw

3 year old used "office" dells go for $95 to $149 with XP COA around
here. (off lease)