Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv
David David is offline

Default Digital TV

Unfortunately, DTV signals are line-of-sight so anything
from a building near the Tx tower ten miles from you or
the woods, trees, hills, general terrain, etc., can make a
weak signal fluctuate. It's normal to lose reception
during storms, snow, rain or even high humidity in some
cases. The higher the channel frequency (not the channel
number you receive on), the worse the symptoms will be.
We're in a fringe area and have an 80 dBm amp running in
order to get anything to come in and you should see how
bad it gets here! Digital has a considerably shorter
reception range than the old analog signals. Our gummint
critters are work.

Twayne

A few comments: DTV signals are no more 'line of sight'
than analog signals were. The degree of loss from not being
'line of sight' depends solely upon the RF transmit
frequency rather than if the modulation is analog or
digital. DTV signals do suffer more from dynamic multipath
reception however.

What is an 80 dBm amp? Is that the same as (80-30) dB?

David