Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.dbs.directv
Raymond Feist Raymond Feist is offline

Default Digital TV

In article ,
"DGDevin" wrote:

"Raymond Feist" wrote in message

Robert A. Heinlein from Napoleon's, "Never attribute to malice what can
be satisfactorily explained by incompetence."

That's better, I knew the version I had seen had "incompetence" in there.

1) Is there anything that happens today which doesn't instantly generate a
conspiracy theory to explain it?

2) How does anyone find enough programming worthwhile enough to care about
reception quality? If I were only able to watch a few hours of TV a week
that would probably be fine, just so long as This Old House and a couple of
other shows were on the list. Most of the rest lives up to the old "vast
wasteland" description the chairman of the FCC used so appropriately in
1961.

"Vast wasteland" was Newton Minnow, after he stepped down from the chair
of the FCC. Of course, back then a big market (like L.A. and NY) had
three network channels and maybe three or four independents. And most
of the programming was pablum. He said it in 1961.

I've been in the entertainment business most of my life--my dad was a TV
producer/writer/director. I've seen a lot of things change since 1961.
For my taste, there's a lot of fun stuff to watch besides sports and
movies. Love Burn Notice and Leverage, and think Castle is smart
writing and fine acting. My guilty pleasures include NCIS and a couple
of other "action" shows. As for reception quality, I love my DirecTV
and my 70" Samsung and when I'm out and about, say a bar with a TV
showing sports, if it's an old set with a downcoverter, it's almost
painful to watch.

Best, R.E.F.

--
Never attribute to malice what can
satisfactorily be explained away by stupidity.