Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

In article , "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote: Vivid purple turned brown when turning and sanding a
pen..... what kind of
acid are you using to bring back the pruple?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Purple heart is brown when it's cut or turned, but the color returns to the
surface on exposure to air. Exposure of the purple surface to sunlight will
turn it to an ugly brown. So, after turning a pen, just wait, and don't
leave it in the window.

Not in my experience -- I've observed the purple to be *intensified* by
sunlight.

I've had PH bleach out brown (certainly seemed to be sun-exposure
related, though filtered through two sheets of glass and a coat of
finish), but I wouldn't call it an ugly brown - more like brittle,
tool-dulling black walnut - ie, pretty good looking, but not as nice to
work with as walnut. It's mostly "not purple" rather than "ugly", IMHO.
YHO may vary, or not be H. Last I looked the bag of shavings I tucked
away in the shed was still nice and purple.