Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: Abby Sunderland

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
Imagine...

A young girl on a 40 ft boat all alone in treacherous waters.

http://www.modbee.com/life/buzzz/story/1006871.html

The sheer stupidity of this is unimaginable, and since the governing
sailing bodies won't certify her results, why bother? (I don't
believe a 17 year old girl will be able to pull of the standard
"because it was there" horse crap.)

I think our local newscaster with tow girls of his own said it best:

"For Gawd's sake; doesn't this girl have parents?"

Apparently not.

No kidding.

It amazes me that people are finding fault over this. While we want to
believe that 16 year olds are children they are only so because we force
them into that mold--Alexander the Great was successfully commanding armies
at that age. This particular girl has a dream and the means to carry it
out and if you read her blog you'll know that she's thought it through and
gotten a good deal of relevant experience and made a careful choice of
equipment and is not operating on a shoestring budget, so what is your
_problem_?