Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_31_] Bill[_31_] is offline

Default Band Saw Gloat

wrote:
On Jan 14, 1:10 am, "Bill" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

One thing that the one I purchaed offered and I for got to mention was the
length of bit/wuill travel. Many are under 3" and that can present
problems in some cases. MINE IIRC trables about 5". The Steel City DP
travels 6"

Your comments have left me thinking about "drilling deep holes" and quill
length for a few days.
By deep, I don't mean deeper than about 6". I ran into the concept of a
"drill bit extender".
That left me suspicious. Are any folks using these to compensate for short
quill length
of their DP (with good results)? If they work so well, it sort of means
one doesn't need
to be as concerned about quill lenth, right? I guess it may depend on one's
tolerences...I'd expect
the drill to make a bigger hole coming out than going in (in fact, bigger
than usual).

Perhaps I don't understand you point, but a long drill bit doesn't
make the bit move any further (the purpose of a long quill travel).
You could move the table to meet the chuck, I suppose though that's a
lot sloppier.

I was thinking that any run-out effect would be proportional to the
distance that the drill bit is extended into the work, and the extender
would magnify this since I would expect it to be an imperfect connector.

Bill