Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Laser guide for press brake in DropBox

On Jan 13, 10:32*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I added a laser guide to my press brake:http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/LaserGuide.pdf

Please excuse the on topic post.

Bob

That's a good idea and nicely done.

It would be less practical on a 30" shear/brake/roll because the
handle is hard to reach from the far end. I add marks offset 9mm (or
3/8") from the bend and align them with the edge of the lower die.
That's plenty accurate for the usual job, like the roof snow rake I
just made, which skates over the raised screw heads on a corrugated
roof.

The back gage stops it came with don't work well. I replaced the rods
with 12mm shafts threaded a loose 1/2-13 so nuts spin freely on them
and coast a ways. The rods are shorter to decrease the space the
machine takes up. The longer originals still work.

Here's a way to make quick-release nuts with a custom thread pitch:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...03579451053314
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/T...03580026966178

You can clamp the two halves firmly together in the mill vise to tap
the threads. The Bridgeport style of pushbutton sliding nut should be
easy to make, but as you can see doesn't fit a Clausing

jsw