Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

Default TV Licence

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jan 13, 9:39 pm, "OG" wrote:
"Jason" wrote in message

news

OG wrote:
I forget the edge case where you only use the TV for watching DVDs...
The trouble is, even watching through a SCART cable only, the receiver
is
still
operating in the background and you an still be done for it if you don't
have a
licence. You need to disconnect the tuner internally.
Wrong.
No you are wrong.
I have evidence, but I'll just offer as much as you did.

My evidence
=====
The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004
includes
Definitions for the purposes of the Communications Act 2003 and the Wireless
Telegraphy Act 1967

Meaning of "television receiver"
9. - (1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), "television
receiver" means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving
(whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television
programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other
purpose.
======
If it is not installed or used "for the purpose of receiving ... television
programme service" it doesn't need a licence.

You may have reference to an older Regulation or Act, but this is the
current law.

The opposite of "installed OR used" is "not installed AND not used".
Boole showed us this many years ago.

you musn't install it and you musn't use it.

MBQ

You are truncating the sentence too early
The opposite of "installed or used for the purpose of..." is
"installed or used NOT for the purpose of...".

The fact that the definition continues "whether or not it is installed
or used for any other purpose." shows that my interpretation is correct,
otherwise the second "installed" would be redundant.
Clearly the purpose for which it is installed is critical to the
definition.