Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Band Saw Gloat

On Jan 14, 1:10*am, "Bill" wrote:
"Leon" wrote in message

One thing that the one I purchaed offered and I for got to mention was the
length of bit/wuill travel. *Many are under 3" and that can present
problems in some cases. *MINE IIRC trables about 5". *The Steel City DP
travels 6"

Your comments have left me thinking about "drilling deep holes" and quill
length for a few days.
By deep, I don't mean deeper than about 6". * I ran into the concept of a
"drill bit extender".
That left me suspicious. *Are any folks using these to compensate for short
quill length
of their DP (with good results)? * If they work so well, it sort of means
one doesn't need
to be as concerned about quill lenth, right? I guess it may depend on one's
tolerences...I'd expect
the drill to make a bigger hole coming out than going in (in fact, bigger
than usual).

Perhaps I don't understand you point, but a long drill bit doesn't
make the bit move any further (the purpose of a long quill travel).
You could move the table to meet the chuck, I suppose though that's a
lot sloppier.