Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Digital TV

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:53:35 -0500, Peter wrote:

On 1/13/2010 12:37 PM, wrote:

If you are only 10 miles away over flat territory and using
an amplifier, that is likely your problem. You are getting
too much signal. If you remove the amp you should do better.

Chip

I bought the amplified indoor antenna after I was unable to get satisfactory
reception using several different configuration traditional unamplified indoor
antennas. The reception with the amplified antenna was much better than using
the unamplified antenna, but still unsat.

I'm in the DC metro area. One of my biggest reception problems is with a major
network outlet that is broadcasting in a lower VHF channel and dropped it's
effective radiated power from about 220KW analog to 12.5 KW digital!! That's
right, not a typo. When I called the station engineer to ask why they were
using such low power, they told me that they had petitioned the FCC to transmit
with greater power, but the FCC was concerned that greater power would cause
interference in the Baltimore metro area (which is more than 40 miles north of
DC). So, I can't receive a decent signal 10 miles away with an indoor antenna
and the FCC is worried about interference 40+ miles away. No wonder OTA
reception of this station is so difficult.

I bought 5 or 6 antennas, tested them out, and returned the rest. The
most expensive antenna was worse than average. Antenna
selection/positioning will take some trial and error work, but once
it's done, that's it! Comcast must hate me because I got many
neighbors into using power antennas.