Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sliding Dovetails for Drawer Fronts

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 05:44:43 -0800 (PST), "D'ohBoy"
wrote:

In trying to come up with a design that will insure my drawer
dimensions (I haven't quite mastered my Keller yet; my dovetails fit
fine, but drawer dimensions are only approximate when I use it) for my
drawer slides, I decided to go with a sliding dovetail.

Seems easy enough when you get the pin (tail? the part that will
slide into the slot) sussed out. But I did notice some caveats from a
number of the google hits. To wit:

1. These joints may not be the choice for drawers that carry heavy
loads. I assume that the use of ball bearing slides alleviates this
concern, as the drawer will open easy no matter what.

Sliding dovetails are not ideal for drawers. There can be a lot of
force against the front and back, even with roller glides. The force
exerted depends on how the drawer might be used (or abused).

2. These joints should not be made with ply as the structure of
plywood is too weak. Really? Even given my use of the ball bearing
slides?

Not sure. Really depends on the ply quality and today that can vary.
I can see some force exerted directly on the glue plane inside the
dovetail.

3. Most sliding dovetails are tapered on the pages I found. If I make
the fit slightly loose (very slightly) and use a gorilla glue type
product, will that be sufficient?

Your sliding dovetail should be snug, not loose, but not too tight
either. Yellow carpenters glue (Elmers, Titebond, etc) is best. For
a sliding dovetail you can put the glue just in the first inch or so
and it will spread as the joint is pressed together.

You might want to rethink your choice of joinery. Consider
traditional dovetails or a lock joint. You can make a lock joint with
a router bit or table saw.

I might use a quality ply for a shop drawer, but certainly not for
"fine furniture." Poplar, pine, or other secondary 1/2" thick wood is
often used for drawer sides. Do you have a surface planer?

I have grown to prefer handcut dovetails because I enjoy making them.
The skill is fairly easy to learn with some practice (took me about 10
days).

Thanks,

D'ohBoy