Posted to uk.d-i-y
Michael Chare Michael Chare is offline

Default Oil boiler - extended warranty?

"Shimshams" wrote in message
Just had a new Grant Vortex Eco condensing oil boiler fitted. It comes
with two years cover. There is the opportunity to extend the cover to five
years for £96, using a company called Smart and Cook who appear to run the
Grant warranty scheme for them.

Does the panel think this is worthwhile (given the potential cost of a
problem, and that any work would have to be done by a tradesman, not me)
or, as so many extended warrantys, might just be full of weaselling out if
ever called on.

Any experience with this scheme or other advice gratefully received!

The way that I look at it is that it can't be a good be a good bet for the
insurance company and you. Further you are not protecting yourself against a
very large loss such as your house burning down, or might be incurred in a
motor vehicle accident. So for that reason I avoid all extended warranties.
In the case of oil boilers there is a reasonable chance of my being able to
indentify any part that fails and replacing it.

--
Michael Chare