Posted to uk.d-i-y
geoff geoff is offline

Default Oil boiler - extended warranty?

In message
,
Kipper at sea writes
On Jan 13, 9:44*am, Shimshams wrote:
Just had a new Grant Vortex Eco condensing oil boiler fitted. It comes
with two years cover. There is the opportunity to extend the cover to
five years for £96, using a company called Smart and Cook who appear to
run the Grant warranty scheme for them.

Does the panel think this is worthwhile (given the potential cost of a
problem, and that any work would have to be done by a tradesman, not me)
or, as so many extended warrantys, might just be full of weaselling out
if ever called on.

Any experience with this scheme or other advice gratefully received!

EU Consumer Rights - Britain Has 6 Years Warranty
EU Directive (1999/44/EC)

Hi everyone
Did you know that when you buy goods in Britain, they are covered by a
statutory 6 years warranty (yes - SIX!) ... not the 12 months +
additional extra cover that's widely paraded across Britain's stores.

Don't believe me? Well it was discussed on Radio 5 Live, Victoria
Derbyshire show yesterday 28 May 2009. Maybe you were listening to it?

follow this link, scroll down to: That piece of EU legislation you've
all been asking for...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/victoriaderbyshire/

The standard EU warranty on goods is 2 years across Europe, some
Countries its more. The guy on Victoria' show said it's 6 years for
Britain.

Most stores across Britain are not even aware of this EU Directive.
They soon will, and they gotta abide by it.

So... print off the Word or PDF document (page seven)
http://ec.europa.eu/publications/boo...4/index_en.htm
keep it handy, and show it to the manager of the store when you return
your faulty goods up to 6 years later.

For more info about this, don't ask me. I'm just passing on this info.

I think you'll find that its up to 6 years - and if e.g. Your washing
machine died after 4 years that you could claim a proportion of this
back, not a replacement after 6 years

And - you would probably have to take out a small claim to recover any
money

--
geoff