Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Band Saw Gloat

"Leon" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

But it looks like the 16.5" has most of the features that the 17" has.

Yep. I think the 17" is better though

Thank you for filling me in about mortisers.

Bill

1/2" better? LOL

No, the 17-950L and 17-959L Both have the same (very nice) table.
The 17-959L has 3/4 HP instead of 1/2 HP, and 4.875" quill length instead of
3.875".
It can also be wired for 240 (I'm not sure how valuable that is), and has 16
speeds
instead of 12. Of these differences, the quill lengh and the power seem the
most
significant to me (in that order).

Best,
Bill

I had a 36" radial DP prior so I had to get used to the idea of a reach of
8.5" in the 17" DP vs. what I had, 18" on the 36" DP. It was mostly a
mental obstacle I think as I have not had a problem drilling what I need.
The older DP was a bench top with a tilting head rather than a tilting
table however I was limited on drilling depth and the length/height of
the object to be drilled.