Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

acid activates purple heart and makes it a very vivid color - might be worth
a try

"Bob Daun" wrote in message
I currently am working on a few cherry bowls. I know that cherry will
darken upon exposure to sunlight from a maple type color to a darker
reddish color. I know this is primarily from exposure to UV light. I
finish my bowls with a few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish and then
after thorough drying, I use my Beall system to polish and wax. Does
anyone know of procedures to use to accelerate the rate of darkening.
What might be a good UV source that could be used close to the wood to
darken it. I have a halogen work light but I don't know the primary
wavelengths of emission for those bulbs.

Bob