Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Darkening cherry bowls

In article , "Bob Daun" wrote:
I currently am working on a few cherry bowls. I know that cherry will
darken upon exposure to sunlight from a maple type color to a darker reddish
color. I know this is primarily from exposure to UV light. I finish my
bowls with a few coats of Formby's Tung Oil Finish and then after thorough
drying, I use my Beall system to polish and wax. Does anyone know of
procedures to use to accelerate the rate of darkening. What might be a good
UV source that could be used close to the wood to darken it. I have a
halogen work light but I don't know the primary wavelengths of emission for
those bulbs.

There are a couple of chemical treatments you can choose from, prior to
applying finish: ammonia fuming, or lye. A solution of 1 teaspoon of lye in a
pint of water will darken cherry quite satisfactorily. Make sure to wipe it
down with diluted vinegar, and again with water, before finishing.