Posted to rec.woodworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Off Topic: Clark Little Photographs

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:30:33 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:47:42 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

I came across these today. Clark Little is a guy who takes his surfboard
and/or fins out into the surf in Hawaii, with a camera. So he gets great
photos from an inside the wave perspective. It is getting a lot of
attention. Truly unique marine photography.

http://www.clarklittlephotography.com/gallery/

Gorgeous. My faves, in order, were Marlin, Lost (both on the second
page), and Red Dirt (last page).

How does that guy keep a dry LENS?!?

--

He has special, custom made housings built for the cameras. You can go to
youtube and search for Clark Little. There are some interviews where he

Yabbut, how do you keep the lens (housing lens area) dry up until the
point you take the pic? Maybe he sillycones the plastic. shrug

President even bought one of his paintings to hang in the oval office. That
makes sense as Obama goes to Hawaii a lot and knows the folks there. And
Clark Little is local boy who made good. He was a surf bum for 30 years and
took that knowldge to his photography. And it works. His photos are getting
international acclaim.

In addition to swimming and surfing to get his photos, he will stand (or
sit) on the beach and watch a big wave crash over him as he photographs it
from the bottom. Somehow or another, he seems healthy and fit. I would die
if I tried a stunt like that.

"Lost" is a good example of where NOT to be when a wall of water hits
the sand. It drives you right into it and holds you down while
churning all around you. I would NOT like to have been Clark in that
case.

The detail, colors, textures, etc of a monsterous, moving wall of water is
incredible from his perspective. Very few of us would ever actually get to
see this. I guess that is what makes him so unique. He is showing us
something that we would never normally see.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I guess. I grew up near the beach in LoCal
and body surfed in Hawaii several times. Sandy Beach on Oahu is scary
as hell! The break is on a steep beach so it's like "Lost". There was
a black sand beach (ground pumice) which was the same way. The rip was
short, but it sucked you right back into the whompers. You ride it in
and dig your hands into the pumice to hold on long enough to get out,
or curl up and flip your legs forward in the middle of the ride so it
sets you down on your feet. I had forgotten about that beach until
this discussion. I had scrapes on my knees, elbows, and both
shoulders after that one, but 13 y/o boys heal quickly.

--
What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of
having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's