Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A little metal project

Jim Wilkins wrote:

On Jan 9, 8:46 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:

I mentioned earlier working for both MEs and EEs. They don't
understand each others' secret language and aren't always too happy
that I do.

It's more fun when you toss in the other MEs (Manufacturing
Engineering) to the mix. Each group thinks they are the only ones who
matter.

I've only worked directly for one Manufacturing Engineer and he was
happy to let me design circuits and otherwise do as I pleased.

But yes, they can all become very defensive and territorial. Sometimes
after the hardware is functional I work for the software group as a
test engineer. Another can of worms opened.

I worked for an 'Engineering to order' company on products from 12
year old designs to cutting edge. All three departments didn't want to
budge, fearing they would be giving up something. As a production test
tech, I could stop the shipment of anything that didn't pass the tests.
or was too close to the edge on all parameters. A few times of almost
missing shipment dates soon had them paying attention.

The result was design changes to make testing easier and with better
repeatability. New & modified test fixtures, and test software. Better
test procedures, including rewriting some written by a Hispanic EE and
translated into very ambiguous English.

One EE had designed and built the only automated test fixture in the
plant, but he totally screwed up the software. He went ballistic when I
not only rewrote the software, but added more tests and some
diagnostics. My boss had a fit when I added two sound effects to the
software. One was a low pitched fog horn whenever the software detected
a problem. The other sounded like winning an early video game when the
board passed.

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.