Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default How add aux connector for iPod to car radio?

Rich Webb wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 23:05:05 -0800 (PST), Bill
wrote:

I bought a 97 Civic recently, with a stock stereo. This unit has an
option for a separate CD player, which plugs into the back of the
factory stereo.

I would like to use this connector to plug an iPod into the radio. I
would like to connect/hard wire a wire into this, with standard 3.5mm
jack on the other end, to plug into my iPod/mp3 player

A part is available, called a PIE auxiliary interface, but it costs
$50 to $70. It's more than just a cable, it also has a box, but I
can't tell if the box has any electronics, or if it's just cables and
connectors.

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehonaux.html

Question: How can I directly connect a cable to the aux connection in
the back of my factory Civic stereo? Does anyone know if this would
work by just connecting the wires correctly? Do you know if any
electronics would be needed to connect the Ipod to stereo? Does anyone
have any (or seen any) DIY instructions on how to make this work?

My stereo has a 8P DIN socket, like in the picture on that web site.

There's probably some electronics inside the P.I.E. box to tell the head
unit that there's something there that can be switched to -- I assume it
masquerades as a CD player.

Yes. The "AUX" button won't even work unless the "radio"
thinks there is something there "of interest".

Depending on how much time you want to invest and your level of
expertise, it should be possible to reverse engineer what's going on at
the DIN connector. Alternately, there's a good chance somebody has
already done this and posted some info on the 'net.

Most of those "somebody"s are folks trying to sell $100 boxes that
do this. :

Replacing the whole works is certainly an option. Be aware, though, that
the keyless entry for that generation functions through the stock radio.
There is usually enough room to secure the radio up inside the dash so
that it still has antenna and door-control connections, but the
installer won't necessarily be aware of that requirement.

It also can end up being a significant chore and runs the risk
of cosmetic damage right where you will see it most!