Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Bandsawr recommendation

On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:17:47 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Looking to buy first & last bandsaw. Actually I've been looking for
quite a while now for an older Delta or Rockwell but I have not come
across anything within reasonable driving distance of where I live
(north MS). So, I'm going to splurge and buy a new one - looked on
Delta's website to see what is "current" and the only one they list
(oddly) is a 28-206 which is just a 14" 1HP jobber. (What is the deal
with that - are they coming out with new lineup?) I'd like at least a
1.5HP model, so what are other options? Considering Grizzly 514 or
555. Budget ~$850, no more than $1000 tops.
Ideas?

Take a look at a Rikon 14" deluxe. 1.5 hp, 13" resaw, 2 speed, tension
release, 799 at Woodcraft.

FWIW, I decided to go with a Craftsman Pro which has 1 hp, 8 in resaw
capacity and no tension release but appears to be otherwise pretty much the
same saw and it cuts anything I throw at it--even resawed some 7" wide
lignum vitae a while back without any strain. At current prices I'd have
paid the extra for the Rikon to get the tension release, which can't be
easily retrofitted to the Craftsman, but the price differential at the time
was a lot higher.