Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] dukes909@yahoo.com is offline

Default Bandsawr recommendation

On Jan 11, 11:55*am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 04:37:15 -0800, wrote:
Thanks for the information. *I'd certainly consider the Laguna models
you're referring to if I had that kind of budget (and 3phase power).

Leon is advising the "last" bandsaw you'll ever need. *Of course, that
depends on your needs. *I'm strictly a hobby woodworker. *I use my
bandsaw about once a week. *But I do small boxes and turnings, so I
wanted good resaw and log cutting abilities. *On a limited budget.

I wound up with the Rikon 14" deluxe. *It has two speeds and the low
speed has sufficient torque that I've cut up 12" walnut logs on it using
a sled. *It has a 13" resaw capability, even more than the 18" model. *
I've also cut 1/16" veneer, although 1/8" is a lot easier.

Leon mentions problems with roller guides. *I only saw those when I was
cutting green wood. *After I cleaned off the blade I sprayed it with one
of those dry lubricants and never had the problem again.

The Woodcraft store where I worked part time has sold a *lot* of these
saws. *I can only recall one coming back and I don't remember the reason.