Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Bandsawr recommendation

On 01/10/2010 05:17 PM, wrote:
Looking to buy first & last bandsaw. Actually I've been looking for
quite a while now for an older Delta or Rockwell but I have not come
across anything within reasonable driving distance of where I live
(north MS). So, I'm going to splurge and buy a new one - looked on
Delta's website to see what is "current" and the only one they list
(oddly) is a 28-206 which is just a 14" 1HP jobber. (What is the deal
with that - are they coming out with new lineup?) I'd like at least a
1.5HP model, so what are other options? Considering Grizzly 514 or
555. Budget ~$850, no more than $1000 tops.
Ideas?

The 513 is likely a decent saw. For a bit more you can get the
heavy-duty version, which has a larger table, cast iron wheels, and an
upgraded fence. The guides are slightly different as well...not sure if
they're actually an improvement or just different. For another $100 you
can get the foot brake, which is nice if there might be others around
since it lets you stop the blade quickly.

I've got a Steel City 18". It's roughly equivalent to the G0513X2B but
with a smaller table and crappier fence.

It has no trouble tensioning a 1" blade, it holds its adjustments
reasonably well, and I use the foot brake a lot. On the downside, the
fence isn't great, and the blade guard needed some modification--from
the factory it's difficult to install large blades without removing the
guard. I've resawn 8" of dry hard maple without difficulties, and it
went through almost 12" of green birch for turning blanks with ease.

Chris