Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default 10" dia flywheel ring gear, fit tolerance?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:19:25 -0000, "Alistair Ross"
wrote:

Anyone know the formula, rule of thumb regarding the shrink fit tolerance
for fitting starter rings to flywheels? My feeling is to leave the recess on
the flywheel 'up' by say 0.010" (.25mm) so as the starter ring cools it
'nips' up, without too much stress on the ring but with enough 'nip' so as
not to work loose or spin.

ttfn....Alistair

I can't help with a rule of thumb specific to starter rings.
Machinerys Handbook has tables on classes of fit, along with examples
of their application and caveats regarding materials and part size. I
think the formulas for calculating stresses in interference fitted
parts is in MH as well.

Here are three online calculators. I haven't verified any of them, but
they're on the web, so they must be right g.
http://www.engineersedge.com/calcula...calculator.htm
http://www.tribology-abc.com/calculators/e3_8.htm
http://www.meadinfo.org/2009/07/pres...-optimize.html

--