Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default 10" dia flywheel ring gear, fit tolerance?

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:32:09 +0800, Royston Vasey wrote:

"Alistair Ross" wrote in message
Anyone know the formula, rule of thumb regarding the shrink fit tolerance
for fitting starter rings to flywheels? My feeling is to leave the recess
on the flywheel 'up' by say 0.010" (.25mm) so as the starter ring cools it
'nips' up, without too much stress on the ring but with enough 'nip' so as
not to work loose or spin.

ttfn....Alistair

No, but years ago when I made a steel flywheel I shrunk the ring gear on and
then put a few small mig welds on it to make sure it stayed put.

I had a car where the ring gear was slipping; the mechanic, rather than
remove and dis-assemble the entire engine removed the sump and did much the
same through a small access. This was only a temporary solution as the
seal failed sometime after; he said it was due to the unavoidable loss of
balance as the welds were not exactly evenly distributed.